First Steps

What happens when someone passes away.

It is normal to have many questions and be unsure of what to do if someone passes away but at A Grundy, we will guide you through every step and be that helping hand that you need. Whether the death is sudden or expected, we understand that for you and your loved ones, this is an extremely sad time and we will do all we can to ease the process. When someone passes away there are several steps you need to take to inform the right people, fill in legal documents and register the death.

If your loved one passes away at home:

• You will need to contact the doctor of the deceased and inform them of the death. If the doctor decides that there is no need for a coroner to intervene, he/she will supply you with a Medical Certificate of Cause of Death and will advise you to contact your funeral director.
• Once we have been contacted, we will arrange for the deceased to be taken into our care where we will carry out all of your requests such as dressing, caring for their belongings and arranging viewings if you would like to.
• If the doctor is unsure of the cause of death, please Contact Us.

If your loved one passes away in hospital:

• Care staff may liaise with the doctor on your behalf and the process remains the same as outlined above.

If your loved one passes away in a Hospice or Care Home:

• Care staff may liaise with the doctor on your behalf and the process remains the same as above.

If your loved one passes away on holiday or outside of the UK:

• If this occurs, contact us as soon as possible for us to be able to liaise with authorities and ensure a quick transition to be able to bring your loved one back home.

Who do I need to inform?

• The doctor – call the medical practice and inform the staff of the recent death.
• Contact a funeral home/director and begin to arrange the funeral.

What documents do I need?

• A Medical Certificate of Cause of Death (this will be signed by a doctor).
• Once registered, you will be issued with a green form.

How do I register the death?

• The death should be registered within 5 days and ideally should be registered in the district where the death occurred. This makes it easier for the relevant paperwork to be gathered and therefore eases the process.

• All deaths in Selby area should be registered at:

Selby Register Office
Civic Centre
Doncaster Road
North Yorkshire
01609 780780

• All deaths in the York area should be registered at:

York Register Office
56 Bootham,
North Yorkshire,
YO30 7DA
Telephone: 01904 654477

• In order to register the death, you will need the medical certificate of the cause of death and a few details about the deceased including:

  • Full name
  • Address
  • Date Of Birth
  • Place Of Birth
  • Occupation
  • Maiden Surname (if a female that has married)
  • For cases of married women or a widow, the full name and occupation of the husband
  • Whether the deceased was receiving a pension from public funds.

Who can register the death?

• Usually this responsibility is that of the relatives of the deceased however if there are no relatives, a person who was with the deceased at the time of their death or someone who is arranging the funeral can register the death.

What if the coroner is involved?

• If the coroner is involved, the process may take slightly longer. In this instance, the coroner will provide you with further instruction. They will also provide a notification to the registrar for the registration of the death to proceed.

j young and son funeral directors Selby logo

At A Grundy, we strive to provide an exceptional personal service, being available 24 hours a day allows you to contact us with any question or query to help ease your worry at such an upsetting time. We pride ourselves with the careful planning and delivering an outstanding service send off worthy for your loved one.

> Contact Us